Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Happy Childhood Memory

.
I remember getting a small cloth doll for my 5th birthday. I had the measles. I was so sick my Mom opened my presents for me.

I remember the doll had a round button nose and painted on facial features. She was about 10 inches tall and floppy. I liked that doll.


Years later I got a Spirograph. Do you remember those? It was a set of plastic disks and bars with teeth and little pin holes. You thumbtacked then down on a piece of paper then inserted a pen in a special hole. Then round and round you propelled the wheel with the pen in it. After some number of passes the disk would come back to the beginning and you'd created a wonderful fractal.

For some reason I just thought of my Spirograph. How I loved that toy. More than almost any other present I remember that one.

I just looked it up. Kenner made them here in the states starting in 1967. But I have a vague memory that mine came back from England with my Dad earlier than that.

Who cares? I have a soft spot in my heart where the memory of my Spirograph resides. And I'm just a little happier this evening for having seen a picture.

Happy Christmas Shopping. I hope we can all find a present that the recipient will remember so fondly 40 years later.
.

2 comments: